- Guyana is generally well known for its traditional mining and production of gold, diamonds, bauxite, stone and other quarriable materials including sand and loam.
- There are several other strategic commodities that could benefit from capital investments for exploration, refining and manufacturing development and export.
- Geologically, approximately 36% (76,600 sq.km) of Guyana encompasses highly mineralized crust, the Greenstone Belts.
- Most of the small, medium and large-scale mining operations exist within this terrain which structurally trends NW-SE.
- Majority of the alluvial Diamond and Gold mining operations exist within the Roraima Formation which covers approximately 12% of Guyana (26,520 sq.km).
- The Roraima Formation is predominantly fluviatile sandstones and conglomerates of middle Proterozoic age.